DVIWindo

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Wed Mar 12 11:52:51 CET 2003

Andreas Antoniou writes:

> Christina:
>
> Here is another attempt to get you my DVIWindo, you know what file, as a
> text file.  That would fool them.  With a bit of lack, you will get 3
> copies.  One embedded, one ftped with name dviwindo.txt and one attached.
>
> Andreas

Andreas, I'm deleted parts of the file that aren't pertinent. I've
made a comparison with my own file and have found some divergences,
some due to preferences during installation and afterwards and a few
which _may_ solve your problem.  ... are you crossing your fingers?
;-) Debugging long-distance is sooo iffy ...

Anyways, here goes.

> ;Installed: 01/25/02 0:52:37
> [Registration]

No problems ;-)

> [Documents]

No problems.

> [Window]

Small diffs but they're machine/window specific, I believe.

> [Environment]
> DummyEntry=1
> ENCODING=texnansi
> TEXFORMATS=C:\yandy\YANDYTEX\FMT
> VECPATH=C:\yandy\FONTS\Encoding
> PREPATH=C:\yandy\DVIPSONE
> SUBPATH=C:\yandy\DVIPSONE\SUB
> PSPATH=C:\YANDY\TEXINPUT;C:\YANDY\PS

The above are all ok. But the next line is not:

> PSFONTS=C:\WINNT\fonts

PSFONTS has to point to the .pfb files, not the .pfms. If you look,
there's a PSFONTS directory _at the same level_ as WINNT. That's where
PSFONTS has to point -- to a directory that has the same name ;-)

So, here's what you need:

PSFONTS=C:\PSFONTS

The c:\psfonts directory contains a Pfm folder, while c:\winnt\fonts
contains the .pfm files. [Note: If you look closely, you'll see that
the .pfm files are presented differently in these two locations, so
don't mistake one directory for the other.]

So change the PSFONTS line in your file and then give the whole show a
test ... I'd exit DVIwindo entirely and start up again.

And make sure to put the CM .pfb files into PSFONTS; the smaller
manual discusses what the PSFONTS environment variable is about on
pp.14-15.

> TEXPOOL=C:\yandy\YANDYTEX\FMT
> TEXINPUTS=C:\YANDY\TEXINPUT;C:\YANDY\TEX\BASE\\
> PLAIN=C:\YANDY\TEXINPUT;C:\YANDY\TEX\BASE\\
> AMSTEX=C:\YANDY\TEXINPUT;C:\YANDY\TEX\BASE\\
> YANDYPATH=C:\yandy
> TEXFONTS=C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\TEXNANSI\TFM;C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\NONTEXT\;C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\TEXNANSI\
> TEXNANSI=C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\TEXNANSI\TFM;C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\NONTEXT\;C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\TEXNANSI\
> TEX256=C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\TEX256\TFM;C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\NONTEXT\;C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\TEX256\
> ANSINEW=C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\ANSINEW\TFM;C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\NONTEXT\;C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\ANSINEW\
> STANDARD=C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\STANDARD\TFM;C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\NONTEXT\;C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\STANDARD\
> TEXTEXT=C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\TEXTEXT\TFM;C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\NONTEXT\;C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\TEXTEXT\

The above are all ok.

> 8R=C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\TEXTEXT\TFM;C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\NONTEXT\;C:\YANDY\FONTS\TFM\8R\

I don't have the above set up here. What's it for?

> BIBINPUT=C:\yandy\bibtex\bib
> BSTINPUT=C:\yandy\bibtex\bst
> CSFINPUT=C:\yandy\bibtex\csf
> BIBTEX_CSFILE=88591lat.csf

I'll confess that I've added these lines in my own file although the
bibtex.txt file says to do the first two environment variables in
Windows itself, via the Control Panel. I'm not familiar with the .csf
bits though.

> TEXEDIT=C:\yandy\winedt\winedt.exe [Open('%s');SelLine(%d,8)]
> EditorDDE=WinEdt;DDEServer;[Open('%s')%;SelLine(%d,8);SetFocus('')]
> LATEX=C:\YANDY\TEXINPUT;C:\YANDY\TEX\BASE\\;C:\YANDY\TEX\LATEX\\

All fine. I've got 2.09 activated so have one additional line above
LATEX=C:...

> [Applications]

All fine.

> [Diagnostics]

Above stuff is all fine.

> BadFont0=Face Name: @Batang,REGULAR Full Name: Batang & BatangChe & Gungsuh & GungsuhChe
> BadFont1=Face Name: @MS Mincho,REGULAR Full Name: MS Mincho & MS PMincho
> BadFont2=Face Name: @SimSun,REGULAR Full Name: SimSun & NSimSun
> BadFont3=Face Name: Sydnie,REGULAR Full Name: Sydnie

In passing, I'd like to note that the above problem is discussed in
the first question of the FAQ (Font Topics) on the website, in case
you'd like to deal with it at this time as well -- it's also addressed
by editing the ini file.

I look forward to reading your next message -- I sure hope it says
something like `hurray' ;-))

Oh, one thing: once you've reset that PSFONTS variable, check the
little tests described in section 4.5 (pp.49-50) of the smaller
manual.