Answer to BibTeX query

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Mon Mar 10 22:59:38 CET 2003

Michel Stanislas writes:

> thanks for finally replying to me,

Thank you for your patience.

> I do not agree with you, this is not a sintax problem as when i compile
> with an other package on PC or Unix, it works as it is.

With your sample files in hand (many thanks for sending a _small_
file!), I have exactly the same thing: no problem when processing on
my unixbox, but it just won't work with Y&YTeX.

> i did try your method and it does not work too.
>
> My feeling is that there you bibtex has a problem to find the path to the
> file as it always tells that it did not found the .aux file which is in
> fact in the same directory as the .tex one.

Yes. I have the same result: the .aux file is present, but when I run
BibTeX, I'm given a nasty error message right off the top: that
\documentclass is an undefined control sequence. But I see that this
is different from yours ...

We're looking into it. I do tend to agree with you that this has the
appearance of being a path-related problem. However, I'm not yet sure
where the path is going wrong. I'm afraid that your .ini file was
deleted from your message -- our mailer here is very strict about
viruses and it turns out that the .ini file is a popular way of
distributing bad things.

In my own dviwindo.ini file, I find only one reference to BibTeX and
that is in the [Applications] portion of the file, which relates
mainly to setting up the menu items in the `TeX' pull-down menu.

> I attach again the ..BLG file which comes out, please look at the spurious
> character in the first line.

What is the spurious char.? Below I see only `a_open_in' -- which is a
sequence of chars. not a `spurious one'. Do you have a file or
something where this sequence appears? Did the spurious char. you
mention perhaps not even come through via e-mail?

> the message i get when running bibtex is :
>
> a_open_in "part_B8".aux
> I couldn't open file named '"part_B8".aux'
> please type input file name (no extension) --

No. I do not get the above message. However, the above isn't directly
related to the file files you sent me.

> sinc ms
>

> At 19:07 03/03/2003 -0500, vous avez écrit:
> >M. Stanislas:

I will continue to work on this and get back in touch as soon as
possible.

In the interim, are you able to continue doing your work on the
unixbox?