\bibstyle? Whose command is this?

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Thu Jun 26 13:14:11 CEST 2003

Mimi Burbank writes:

> On Jun26 11:20AM, Christina Thiele wrote:
> > Can someone do a BibTeX run via DVIWindo and post the first several
> > lines (how many lines are significant?) of screen-displayed material,
> > so I have a reference on what I ought to be seeing? And maybe the
> > matching lines from the log file as well ...
>
> okay - I have my  "stanis"  files over on my unix box, so I'm
> running my PC DVIWindo on that:
>
> bibtex  yields"
>
> Current directory: `h:\yy\sypport\stanis'
>  0:    `C:yandy\bibtex\bibtex.exe'
>  1:    `h:\yy\support\stanis\stanis-test.aux'
>
> Press any key to continue . . .
> The 8-bit codepage and sorting file: 88591lat.csf
> The top-level auxiliary file: h:\yy\support\stanis\stanis-test.aux
> The style file: plain.bst
> Database file #1: stanis-wallturb.bib
> Warning--I did find a database entry for "schlichting"
> (There was 1 warning)
>
> Press any key to continue . . .
>
> and I hit return and the little window disappears and it is done

OK. So the next line I should read after the 0, 1 lines is the
codepage bit. That's what I get when run from the DOS command
prompt. OK. So I should see that on-screen as well. And I
don't. Instead, I get a message from TeX itself ... which of course
doesn't have a clue what to do with the \bibstyle in the .aux file.

OK. So it sounds like something really twisted in my machine and TeX
itself gets involved once BibTeX's been invoked.

> -------------------------
>
> as you notice - according to some instructions quite a few weeks
> ago - i click on pause somewhere in some file  (gee, I can't
> remember a single thing about what or where it is...)

It was a couple of weeks ago ;-) You go into the `Special' menu in
DVIWindo, and activate `Pause WinExe Calls'. I've got `Show' WinExe
Calls' also active these days, as I try to figure out this BibTeX
thing.

Actually, I see that most of the entries in this menu are active --
oh, everything, except `Working Directory'.

While you're at it, go into the Fonts menu, and activate the `Color
Fonts' option -- I love this feature!

> oh my goodness !!!!!  I just managed to add latex to my dviwindo
> tools menu   ;-)   and it even worked!

Well well ... this list is serving its purpose ;-) As long as what you
meant was the DVIWindo `TeX' menu and not `tools'  ;-))