\bibstyle? Whose command is this?

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Thu Jun 26 11:20:40 CEST 2003

Robin Fairbairns writes:

> >    This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Y&Y TeX 2.2.2)
> >    (C:/cthiele/work/stanis-test.aux
> >    ! Undefined control sequence.
> >    l.2 \bibstyle
> >                 {apsrev}
> >
> > So my first question is: what package is defining \bibstyle? I can't
> > find in the index to either the Companion or the Kopka/Daly book.
>
> latex defines \bibstyle.
>
> \bibstyle is the command put into the .aux file, by

So let me go look at the .aux file! If it doesn't have \bibstyle in
it, then maybe it's not the right one ... ooohhh ... let me go look
right now!

Ah, shucks! No such easy cause. The .aux file does have it. And the
path is to the same directory (c:\cthiele\work) so it's not a case of
the .aux being written elsewhere. The .aux file begins:

\relax
\bibstyle{apsrev}
\citation{spalart00}

So the .aux file's entries are correct. But TeX doesn't understand it
because ... why? Hmmm ...

> \bibliographystyle, to tell bibtex what style to use.  it's set up as
> a no-op (equivalent to \newcommand\bibstyle[1]{}) so that when _latex_
> reads the .aux file it doesn't bother with it.  similarly \citation
> (put there by \cite).
>
> > And second: this seems to be saying that TeX is now reading the file!
> > Well, how come?!
>
> i don't know.  programming it to process the document with latex makes
> sense, though your key programming seems to imply not even that should
> happen.  i can't help here :-(

Can someone do a BibTeX run via DVIWindo and post the first several
lines (how many lines are significant?) of screen-displayed material,
so I have a reference on what I ought to be seeing? And maybe the
matching lines from the log file as well ...

Silly bugger of a problem and it's now getting down to reading things
line by line ... char. by char. ... but maybe that's how this
debugging's gotta be done ;-(

Thanks everyone, and esp. to Robin, for the above details.