\bibstyle? Whose command is this?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 26 10:03:08 CEST 2003

> HOWEVER, when I use F4 via the TeX menu in DVIWindo, the log window
> gives me a different story:
>
>    Current directory: `C:\cthiele\work'
>    0: `c:\yandy\bibtex\bibtex.exe'
>    1: `-Z'                           <-- in or out, this doesn't
>    2: `stanis-test.aux'                  change what happens next

so bibtex is being invoked properly.

> followed by:
>
>    This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Y&Y TeX 2.2.2)
>    (C:/cthiele/work/stanis-test.aux
>    ! Undefined control sequence.
>    l.2 \bibstyle
>                 {apsrev}
>
> So my first question is: what package is defining \bibstyle? I can't
> find in the index to either the Companion or the Kopka/Daly book.

latex defines \bibstyle.

\bibstyle is the command put into the .aux file, by
\bibliographystyle, to tell bibtex what style to use.  it's set up as
a no-op (equivalent to \newcommand\bibstyle[1]{}) so that when _latex_
reads the .aux file it doesn't bother with it.  similarly \citation
(put there by \cite).

> And second: this seems to be saying that TeX is now reading the file!
> Well, how come?!

i don't know.  programming it to process the document with latex makes
sense, though your key programming seems to imply not even that should
happen.  i can't help here :-(