\bibstyle? Whose command is this?

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Thu Jun 26 10:45:06 CEST 2003

Mimi Burbank writes:

> On Jun25 04:18PM, Christina Thiele wrote:
> > Well, I'm now a petitioner for assistance ;-)
>
> i obviously don't know "squat" but can report that my
>   version of bibtex works in winedt and in dviwindo...
>  yata yata yata    <g>

Lucky dog! So why can't I?

Is it at all possible that this is all because I have added the 8-bit
BibTeX to an older v.2.2 version? Mine's 2.2.3 -- but I think Jean
(Delayen) also has v.2.2.3 and he too can process files without a
hitch. It's just gotta be something wrong on my machine ... ;-(

> > HOWEVER, when I use F4 via the TeX menu in DVIWindo, the log window
> > gives me a different story:
>

> what is this F4 -  that is "notepad" on my system....   ???? !!!!
> you have defined it as something....  somewhere... because I
> already have a bibtex item...   I just don't have a "latex" item  ;-(

All the function keys are programmable as shortcuts. I don't use
Notepad so I reassigned the F4 key to BibTeX. There is nothing
inherent to F4 that requires it to access Notepad. Assignment of
F-keys is arbitrary.

If you look at the .ini file in an ascii editor, which allows you to
see all the lines in it, look for the [Applications] section, which is
where you can customise what F-keys do what. Just follow any existing
line as a model. In my case, I have the following mappings:

[Applications]
DummyEntry=1
Help|F1=C:\yandy\dviwindo\dviwindo.exe C:\yandy\dviwindo\dvi_help.dvi
DOS (Full Screen)|F2=C:\yandy\dviwindo\dosprmpt.pif
DOS (Windowed)|F3=C:\yandy\dviwindo\doswinpt.pif
Separator7=Line
WordPerfect|F10=C:\Program Files\Corel\WordPerfect Office 2000\programs\wpwin9.exe @.tex
PFE Editor|F11=C:\yandy\pfe\pfe32.exe @.tex
Emacs|F12=C:\Program Files\emacs-20.4\bin\runemacs.exe @.tex
Separator9=Line
DVIPSONE|F12=C:\YANDY\DVIPSONE\DVIPSONE.BAT -d=LPT1 *
Separator11=Line
iniTeX|F9=C:\YANDY\YANDYTEX\INITEX.BAT "Format Source File|plain" "Format Menu Name|TeX"
Separator13=Line
BiBTeX|F4=C:\YANDY\BIBTEX\BIBTEX.EXE @.aux
plain TeX|F5=C:\YANDY\YANDYTEX\TEX.BAT @.tex
AMSTeX|F6=C:\YANDY\YANDYTEX\TEX.BAT +amstex @.tex
LaTeX 2.09|F7=C:\YANDY\YANDYTEX\TEX.BAT +lplain @.tex
LaTeX|F8=C:\YANDY\YANDYTEX\TEX.BAT +latex @.tex

> > a. For the TeX menu:
> >
> >    BiBTeX|F4=C:\YANDY\BIBTEX\BIBTEX.EXE @.aux
>        ^   ????   capitalization???  possible?
>
> > can't really be the distribution ... it's gotta be me ;-(
>

> since I do it all the time -  could it possibly be the
>   "mis"  capitalization ???

The text to the left of the | is what appears in the TeX menu -- I
could have assigned F4 the label `babelstuff' -- and if my BibTeX were
actually functioning ;-(, the F4 key would still have worked. The left
side of the | is screen-display only. What's to the right of the =
sign, now that's what's actually significant and read by the computer
;-)

Now, you said you don't have a latex entry in your TeX menu -- take
the one from mine above -- and assign it whatever F-key you still have
available.

By the way, that line about WordPerfect is not because I actually use
WP as an editor ;-) It was to test how to set up a different editor --
and it works. I just keep it around as a reminder ;-)