Missing fonts?

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Sun Jun 8 09:08:31 CEST 2003

Steve McKinnon writes:

> My mistake about the CM fonts. I thought they were standard, but I
> checked the Y&Y site and you are right - they must be purchased! At
> least that issue is solved.

OK. One down ... ;-)

> I think you are right about this being a setup problem. I copied the
> original hello_mt.dvi and dviwindo displays it fine. The problem is

Excellent!

> earlier, with the LaTeX processing of the .tex file. I checked with
> the other demo .dvi files, but as expected, dviwindo complained
> about missing fonts.
>
> I LaTeX'd other files and they all return version 2.2.8 to the
> dviwindo.ini file record and 2.2.4 to the .log file.

OK. I mean ... `noted' ;-)

> About WinEdt, I was previously using it with MikTeX and all worked
> fine. I just switched the configuration to the Y&Y menu and it finds
> the LaTeX files from the Y&Y installation okay. That's why the path
> to the editor is probably non-standard.

OK.

> Now for font locations. I did a search for mtex and found the
> following:
> mtex.pfb and mtex.pfm both in c:\WINNT\Fonts
> mtex.tfm in c:\yandy\fonts\nontext\tfm-mt
> the c:\winnt\fonts directory has all of the .pfm fonts that are on
> the installation disk, but I noticed it does not have any of the
> .pfb files that are on the installation disk. However, it sounds
> like these are not needed.

Oh, I do believe they _are_ needed. On p.4 of the Technical Addendum
(the bigger manual), I find this:

  On the Windows Platform, a Type 1 font consists of two files:

   PFB ...

   PFM ...

So now that we know you need 'em, maybe the problem is that they're in
a place dviwindo.ini doesn't know about. It's Sunday morning ... I'm
supposed to be doing family stuff not this. So this is about all I cal
do right now. But have a read through some of this fonts stuff and
check that your .pfbs are in a place that dvipsone can find them.

But it does sound like we're making progress, overall ... a bit, no?
Perhaps? ;-))

> Is the "corrupted NFSS tables." message in the YANDYTEX DOS box
> during texing significant? There was an initial problem with my
> CD-ROM CTAN installation, but I was sent a new CD-ROM with this
> fixed. This may be unrelated but could be a piece of the puzzle.

Maybe. I'd like to defer this part of your query to Robin, as he's
more familiar with nfss things than I.

> Thanks again.

And thank you for your patience!