Question about European Modern Roman Fonts

Brent Clothier bclothie at uiuc.edu
Tue Jun 3 10:51:52 CEST 2003

On your website, you list for sale a series of European Modern Roman fonts:
EMR5, EMR6, EMR7, EMR8, EMR9, EMR17, etc.  I had a couple questions because
one can purchase them individually for $15 or as a set for $110.

I am trying to write my doctoral thesis using Adobe Framemaker 7.0 on
Windows XP.  While I have found the full Computer Modern Roman font family
for free, the print quality is slightly poor and the spaces are represented
by a dash.  Both of these characteristics are unacceptable.

So here are my questions:

(1) The number at the end of the designation refers to the point size (i.e.,
EMR12 is the European Modern Roman font, 12 point size).  Is that correct?

(2) My understanding is that Type 1 fonts are scalable without artifacts.
So then why does Y and Y offer a series of point sizes (i.e., EMR5, EMR6,
etc.)?  Can a person not just purchase one, say like EMR12, and scale up or
down to other point sizes as needed?  If this is a stupid question, I
apologize.  But I am new to this area.

(3) What do the other designations stand for?  For example, you have EMBX,
EMBXSL, EMBXTI, EMTI, EMSL, EMSS, etc.  Are these just stylistic variations
on the main European Modern Roman?

I am interested in purchasing an EMR font but am rather cost-sensitive.  My
boss would not approve purchase of the full set but might allow an
individual font purchase (or two).  Thank you for you time.

Regards,
Brent Clothier

Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering
1304 West Green St., MC-246
Urbana, Illinois 61801
(217) 637-8171 Cell
(217) 333-7537 Office/Lab