Problems with BibTeX

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Tue Jun 3 10:54:38 CEST 2003

Jean Delayen writes:

> >The crash of the development computer and subsequent rebuild
> >with backup files - may have created a problem rather than fixed
> >one....

The issue here is an upgrade of BibTeX -- at present, we're trying to
get all the bugs worked out and accurate documentation written.

> >My CD had a  revtex4-beta  folder in it -   and most of the
> >stuff in there was old and should be thrown away... and replaced
> >with the new stuff from the aps web site.  You've done that I
> >believe...
> >

> Yes I downloaded all the files recently
>
> >do you have    c:\yandy\csf  \bib and \bst directories?
> >

> Actually it is a little different.
> They are \yandy\bibtex\bib,  \csf  and \bst

Jean is correct. The upgraded BibTeX is now in its own folder,
c:\yandy\bibtex, which in turns contains all the other folders.

> >check your dviwindo.ini file (under C:\WINNT)  and see what
> >your bibinput and bibtex paths show...   and report back to
> >the techsupport at yandy.com list  ...
> >

> AHA!
> Here is a piece of it where I see a problem
>
> BIBINPUT=c:\yandy\bibtex\bib;c:\yandy\bibtex\contrib
> BSTINPUT=c:\yandy\bibtex\bst;c:\yandy\bibtex\contrib
> CSFINPUT=c:\yandy\bibtex\csf;c:\yandy\bibtex\contrib
>
> My \yandy directory is in the d drive and not in the c drive.
> I do not remember if I entered those manually at some point of if it was
> done automatically at installation.
> I fixed the entries in the ->preference->environment and now bibtex can
> find the apsrev.bst
> and 88591lat.csf in the appropriate directories.  I do not need to put
> them with my source files.

The above lines for dviwindo.ini came from my draft installation
instructions, which assume a C-drive. You probably just cut-and-pasted
them into position. I'll add the following note to the opening
section, reminding users to replace `C' with the appropriate drive
letter:

4. These instructions assume all files are in the C-drive. If you use
   a different drive, remember to change the `C' to the appropriate
   letter.

> However I still get the error:
> 3018: Sorry---you've exceeded BibTeX's wizard-defined function space 3000

I'd be inclined to leave this query until updated revtex files are
installed. Mimi's mentioned that she thinks these files are out of
date, so perhaps your sample files need the newer version?

As you said, a little more progress ...