Problems with BibTeX

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Mon Jun 2 12:52:25 CEST 2003

Jean Delayen writes:

> I am using YandY 2.2.6 and WinEdt 5.2 running under Windows 2000.
>
> I am in the process of writing papers for submission the the Physical
> Review using the APS REVTeX4 package.
> For reference it is described at   http://publish.aps.org/revtex4/
>
> I have tried to process the sample files (apssamp.tex)  available at the
> above URL to make sure that everything is working properly, but have
> have run into problems with BibTeX generating the reference list.
>
> Here are some of the issues/problems
>
> 1--  When I try to run BibTeX from WinEdt I get an error message that it
> cannot run BibTeX because it searches in the yandy\util directory.
>  BibTeX is supposed to be in the \yandy\bibtex directory.  I have not
> been able to make WinEdt look into the \bibtex directory.

This is a WinEdt programming issue that Y&YTeX documentation doesn't
address because WinEdt isn't a Y&Y product. But it would be nice if we
could at least provide users with the necessary info on what to
modify. Where possible, we'd like to give solutions to more than
strictly Y&YTeX concerns, esp. as it's about paths into c:\yandy.

However, it's _possible_ that once the programming of WinEdt to access
BibTeX is resolved, things may still not work.

We know that it seems one can't run BibTeX from the DVIWindo TeX menu
-- this is Jean's point #2.  We've put out a query and are still
waiting to hear what the solution is. For all we know, it's just a
simple path that's not being set ... See below for the workaround,
which is Jean's point #3 (described in bibtex.txt).

> 2--  When I try to run BibTeX from DVIWindo I get the following message;
>
> This is 8-bit Big BibTeX version 0.99c
> Error: cannot open CS file: 88591lat.csf
> The top-level auxiliary file: J:\JDE\Shared\APS_Sample\apssamp.aux
> I couldn't open style file apsrev.bst
> ---line 48 of file J:\JDE\Shared\APS_Sample\apssamp.aux
>  : \bibstyle{apsrev
>  :                 }
> I'm skipping whatever remains of this command
> I found no style file---while reading file
> J:\JDE\Shared\APS_Sample\apssamp.aux

Yes ... I've seen this too, with quite different files. We're hoping
to get this problem solved soon, so that the BibTeX option in the TeX
menu actually works!

> The files 88591lat.csf and apsrev.bst are in the  \yandy\bibtex\csf and
> \yandy\bibtex\bst  directories, respectively, which is where I think
> they are supposed to be.

Yes. That's correct. There's also a c:\yandy\bibtex\contrib folder:
it's often helpful to leave .bib and .bst files that come with the
Y&YTeX installation in their specific \bibtex\bibinput and
\bibtex\bstinput folders, while putting all newcomers into
\bibtex\contrib, so you can keep track of what's default and what's
been added afterwards. All folders below c:\yandy\bibtex are picked up
because the dviwindo.ini file has the following line:

   c:\yandy\bibtex\\

where that double-\\ means `and all folders below this level'.

     NOTE: the above line for dviwindo.ini is for installations where
     the BibTeX upgrade has been put into its own folder
     (c:\yandy\bibtex); older installations have bibtex.exe residing
     in c:\yandy\util, with the .bib and .bst files
     c:\yandy\texinput\bibinput and c:\yandy\texinput\bstinput.

The bibtex.txt documentation indicates that an alternative procedure
is to put all files into a (temporary) working directory, and then,
from the DOS prompt (in the working directory), specify the full path
to invoke BibTeX:

   c:\yandy\bibtex\bibtex.exe <filename>

which does work -- see Jean's point #3, below.

But what we really want is to access BibTeX via menu choices either
from DVIWIndo and/or WinEdt, which would be much more `normal'!

> 3--  If I copy the 2 above files into the working directory with my
> source files, bibtex starts to run but I get the following error message
>
> This is 8-bit Big BibTeX version 0.99c
> The 8-bit codepage and sorting file: 88591lat.csf
> The top-level auxiliary file: J:\JDE\Shared\APS_Sample\apssamp.aux
> The style file: apsrev.bst
> Database file #1: apssamp.bib
> Warning--I didn't find a database entry for "endnote1"
> 3018: Sorry---you've exceeded BibTeX's wizard-defined function space 3000

Jean, I tried to process the .tex file you'd supplied but as I don't
have ReVTeX installed on my machine, I can't process the file to try
and locate the problem. So I can't even say whether it's a Y&YTeX
problem ... But at least we know BibTeX's working ... some small
consolation, no? ;-))

Perhaps someone else has the necessary set-up and can do a test for
Jean?  Or maybe this is an easy error that experienced BibTeX'ers will
recognise? ... says she hopefully ... !