Problems with BibTeX

Jean Delayen delayen at jlab.org
Mon Jun 2 12:01:19 CEST 2003

In advance, thanks for the help.

I am using YandY 2.2.6 and WinEdt 5.2 running under Windows 2000.

I am in the process of writing papers for submission the the Physical
Review using the APS REVTeX4 package.
For reference it is described at   http://publish.aps.org/revtex4/

I have tried to process the sample files (apssamp.tex)  available at the
above URL to make sure that everything is working properly, but have
have run into problems with BibTeX generating the reference list.

Here are some of the issues/problems

1--  When I try to run BibTeX from WinEdt I get an error message that it
cannot run BibTeX because it searches in the yandy\util directory.
 BibTeX is supposed to be in the \yandy\bibtex directory.  I have not
been able to make WinEdt look into the \bibtex directory.

If I put BibTeX into the \yandy\util directory I get an error message
that it cannot open the apssamp.aux file.  That file is in the working
directory with the source files.

2--  When I try to run BibTeX from DVIWindo I get the following message;

This is 8-bit Big BibTeX version 0.99c
Error: cannot open CS file: 88591lat.csf
The top-level auxiliary file: J:\JDE\Shared\APS_Sample\apssamp.aux
I couldn't open style file apsrev.bst
---line 48 of file J:\JDE\Shared\APS_Sample\apssamp.aux
 : \bibstyle{apsrev
 :                 }
I'm skipping whatever remains of this command
I found no style file---while reading file
J:\JDE\Shared\APS_Sample\apssamp.aux

Here's how much of BibTeX's memory you used:
 Cites:                 4 out of 750
 Fields:                0 out of 17250
 Hash table:         4996 out of 5000
 Strings:              87 out of 4000
 String pool:         561 out of 65530
 Wizard functions:      0 out of 3000
(There were 2 error messages)

The files 88591lat.csf and apsrev.bst are in the  \yandy\bibtex\csf and
\yandy\bibtex\bst  directories, respectively, which is where I think
they are supposed to be.

3--  If I copy the 2 above files into the working directory with my
source files, bibtex starts to run but I get the following error message

This is 8-bit Big BibTeX version 0.99c
The 8-bit codepage and sorting file: 88591lat.csf
The top-level auxiliary file: J:\JDE\Shared\APS_Sample\apssamp.aux
The style file: apsrev.bst
Database file #1: apssamp.bib
Warning--I didn't find a database entry for "endnote1"
3018: Sorry---you've exceeded BibTeX's wizard-defined function space 3000

Here's how much of BibTeX's memory you used:
 Cites:                 3 out of 750
 Fields:               93 out of 17250
 Hash table:         4654 out of 5000
 Strings:            1100 out of 4000