font display problems

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Mon Jun 2 11:49:04 CEST 2003

Demosthenes Talaslidis writes:

> > 1. Did you have ATM active (see the ATM manual on how to turn it on
> >    and off without uninstallign it) when installing the fonts for the
> >    Win2000 machine? It has to be off.

> ATM IS NOT INSTALLED ON MY MASHINE

OK. So that's not going to interfere with us! Hurray for one potential
headache being avoided.

> > 2. Installing the fonts is explained in the smaller Y&YTeX manual,
> >    on pp.4-5. Do you recall having done these steps exactly?

> YES. BESIDES, THE POP-UP MENU ON THE CD
> ("INSTALL FONTS IN WINDOWS 2000 PRO) SHOULD DO ITS JOB

Yes, it should. Now I believe that this menu choice comes up and
executes a file from the CD (top level, not down in some folder)
called w2kfonts.exe. You have that? I've sometimes seen it being
recommended to run that file from the CD. But this is a
clutching-at-straws comment ... :-)

> > > Is it possible that some updates (I have Y&Y 2.2, Previewer 2.2.3)
> > > solve the problem??????????????????????????????????????????
> > > Shall I purchase a newer version (I purchased my version in June 2000)
> > > ????????????????????????????
> >
> > I have the same as you -- it's just on an NT box, rather than
> > Win2000. So no, it's not an upgrade issue -- `merely' a font display issue.

> OK, BUT NT USES ATM FOR FONT INSTALLING.
> ARE THERE ANY Y&Y USERS WHO HAVE  (OR HAVE NOT) FONT DISPLAY
> PROBLEMS USING W2K??? WHEN DID THEY PURCHASE THEIR SYSTEM??

The problems we see with Win2000 users are quite often resulting from
an upgrade: both the fonts and the Y&YTeX system need to be installed,
and some users forget that the fonts are part of the equation. The ATM
that used to be necessary isn't for Win2000, so that would also
sometimes interfere. I'm afraid we don't actually get messages from
people who've had no problems with installing fonts on Win2000
machines ... ;-)

You've indicated that your system was purchased in June 2000 -- your
query about it possibly being a date with known problems will be
forwarded to the administrative person to check into.

In the meantime ...

> > Now, I wonder if you have time to go to the website and check the FAQ
> > `Font Topics'. I printed them out and then numbered the queries. If
> > you do the same, you can follow along ...
> >
> > #9 is about using the setupttf utility program -- give that a try.

> I HAVE ADDED THE ALTERNATIVE IgnoreBadInstall=1 in the dviwindo,
> BUT THIS DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

But did you actually run the setupttf.exe file?

The Technical Addendum (p.67) says this will ``update the [ttfonts]
section of win.ini''. This is part of section 5.2.5 `Relating font
file names to Windows Face Names', which is about getting fonts to
display properly, and running setupttf helps deal with the case where
`DVIWindo complains that it can't find TrueType fonts'' (p.66, at
bottom).

> I PRINTED THE DVIWINDO.INI FILES
> CREATED UNDER W98 AND W2K PLATFORMS.
> THERE ARE NO DIFFERENCES EXCEPT IN THE LINE
> PSFONTS=C:\PSFONTS (W98) AND PSFONTS=C;\WINNT\FONTS (w2K)
                                        ^
            I assume this is just a typo?

> WHICH IS JUSTIFIED.

But PSFONTS is a DVIPSONE variable, hence for printing, not screen
display (p.14 of the smaller manual). Or so I thought ...

Give that setupttf.exe file a try ...

> THANK YOU

And thank you for your continued trying. You know, once we get this
solved, we're going to have to wade through all this mail and pull out
the bare essentials, so that there's a quicker answer for the next
person! ;-))