DVIPSONE in Windows XP

Vidhu Prasad Vidhu_Prasad at uml.edu
Mon Dec 15 12:51:59 CET 2003

On Dec 12 4:29pm Mimi Burbank wrote:

>However, when I try to generate
> a ps file, via DVIPS and try to view the file with GSView it (GSView) does
> not find the CM fonts - instead GSView makes font substitutions with
Courier
> fonts - so the output is awful looking. (FYI, I've attached the
Ghostscript
> messages at the end).  For some letters, it produces no output.  In no
> situation have I been able to produce any "good looking" ps output.

>I suspect something in the dvips configuration is wrong.

I think that is the problem as well - but I really have no idea what I
should do to correct this.  By the way, in response to Mike Praeger, the
DVIPS is in fact Y&YTex's supplied DVIPSONE 2.2.4 as I read it from the
DVPSONE's log (and not some free version).

>I'm curious -  in what order did you install ghostscript and
>gsview ????  ;-)   It may be that it is similar to the  problem
>with installing  the tex system, and *then* installing the fonts.

I followed the download instructions - I have installed and uninstalled
several times (gsview and ghostscript) - and am confident that it was done
correctly.  The fact that I can view and print all ps docs other than those
which I produce from DVIPSONE on this desktop,  leads me to conclude that
the problem is in DVIPSONE.  (the printout and view of DVIPSONE output has
all the courier font substitutions in stead of CM fonts, which DVIPSONE log
states it can't find - ghostcript makes the substitutions)

>your problem is  going from DVI to PS ....

> that my desktop installation of YandY is not informing GSView about where
> the CM fonts reside??  By the way my editor is WinEdt (could the problem
lie
> there?).

>not sure - look at your  WinEdt   configuration and see where *that*
>has DVIPSONE pointing to... and...

How do I find out where WinEdt has DVIPSONE pointing?

> Or could it be that CM fonts are not installed on this installation of
> YandY? (why was it installed on my laptop? why do my dvi files come out
> fine?).  I don't know, but I will follow developments from you and others
> with interest.

>look at the   c:\yandy\fonts\ folder and see if the .tfm files are
>   in there   ;-)  and

.tfm files are in the c:\yandy\fonts\ folder.  In fact there are 6 folders
which have .tfm files.  The CM files are in
c:\yandy\fonts\tfm\nontext\tfm-cm.

> p.s. (no pun intended) The DVIPSONE log states
> "WARNING: Can't find font cmbx12 (and on substitute)"
>
> along with 11 other cm fonts (cmr12, cmmi12,cmsy8, cmsy10, cmr8,
> cmmi8, cmex10, cmti12,cmr6,cmsy6, cmmi6)
>

> ************* Here is the Message log from GSView ***************
>
> GSview 4.4 2003-04-04
> Unknown in Comments section at line 9:
>   %%DocumentSuppliedResources:
>

> Scanning c:\psfonts for fonts... 0 files, 0 scanned, 0 new fonts.
> Can't find (or can't open) font file C:\gs\gs8.11\Resource/Font/cmex10.

>it is *ghostscript* that needs to know where the fonts are installed
  ;--)

ghostcript can find appropriate fonts from ps files not generated from
DVIPSONE - is that some clue?