DVIPSONE in Windows XP

Mimi Burbank mimi at csit.fsu.edu
Fri Dec 12 16:28:50 CET 2003

On Dec12 04:01PM, Vidhu Prasad wrote:
> David and Christina:
>
> This appears to be "similar" to a problem which I have experienced.
> Unfortunately, I have no solution that solves it.
>

> I run YandY 2.2.  I Tex a document and am able to preview the
> dvi file and print it with no problem.

  using WinEdt -   the commands for latex and DVIWINDO are correctly
  defined inside WinEdt and so they work just fine.

 However, when I try to generate
> a ps file, via DVIPS and try to view the file with GSView it (GSView) does
> not find the CM fonts - instead GSView makes font substitutions with Courier
> fonts - so the output is awful looking. (FYI, I've attached the Ghostscript
> messages at the end).  For some letters, it produces no output.  In no
> situation have I been able to produce any "good looking" ps output.

I suspect something in the dvips configuration is wrong.

I'm curious -  in what order did you install ghostscript and
gsview ????  ;-)   It may be that it is similar to the  problem
with installing  the tex system, and *then* installing the fonts.

your problem is  going from DVI to PS ....

> that my desktop installation of YandY is not informing GSView about where
> the CM fonts reside??  By the way my editor is WinEdt (could the problem lie
> there?).

not sure - look at your  WinEdt   configuration and see where *that*
has DVIPSONE pointing to... and...

> Or could it be that CM fonts are not installed on this installation of
> YandY? (why was it installed on my laptop? why do my dvi files come out
> fine?).  I don't know, but I will follow developments from you and others
> with interest.

look at the   c:\yandy\fonts\ folder and see if the .tfm files are
   in there   ;-)  and

> p.s. (no pun intended) The DVIPSONE log states
> "WARNING: Can't find font cmbx12 (and on substitute)"
>
> along with 11 other cm fonts (cmr12, cmmi12,cmsy8, cmsy10, cmr8,
> cmmi8, cmex10, cmti12,cmr6,cmsy6, cmmi6)
>

> ************* Here is the Message log from GSView ***************
>
> GSview 4.4 2003-04-04
> Unknown in Comments section at line 9:
>   %%DocumentSuppliedResources:
>

> Scanning c:\psfonts for fonts... 0 files, 0 scanned, 0 new fonts.
> Can't find (or can't open) font file C:\gs\gs8.11\Resource/Font/cmex10.

it is *ghostscript* that needs to know where the fonts are installed
  ;--)

> Can't find (or can't open) font file C:\gs\gs8.11\Resource/Font/cmex10.

> > Thanks for all your suggestions, Christina.  I've tried everything, but
<snip>

mimi

ps:  I'm about to install Y&Y on a brand new Dell - so I'll certainly
be able to render my own story soon.... when I can find time to
install it  ;-(   until then I need to use unix ...