DVIPSONE in Windows XP

Mike Prager Mike.Prager at noaa.gov
Fri Dec 12 16:33:50 CET 2003

At 04:01 PM 12/12/2003, Vidhu Prasad wrote:
>  However, when I try to generate
>a ps file, via DVIPS and try to view the file with GSView it (GSView) does
>not find the CM fonts - instead GSView makes font substitutions with Courier
>fonts - so the output is awful looking. (FYI, I've attached the Ghostscript
>messages at the end).  For some letters, it produces no output.  In no
>situation have I been able to produce any "good looking" ps output.

There are several issues here.

First, when using the Y&Y system, I would advise using DVIPSONE, the
supplied PS translator, rather than the free DVIPS, which is designed to
work with other versions of TeX.  (That said, it may be entirely possible
to get DVIPS to work fine with Y&Y if both are configured correctly.)

Second, can the PS file be printed on a PS printer and does it look OK?  If
yes, the fonts are specified correctly in the PS file.  If no, it is
possible that DVIPS doesn't know where to find your Type 1 fonts.  Please
consult the DVIPS documentation and fix the problem.

Third, it is not up to any other application to tell GhostScript/GSView
where its fonts are.  That is done by configuring GSView.  From the GSView
main menu, click "Options", then "Advanced Configure...", and click the
"Help" button.  Please read the information on "Ghostscript Include Path"
and "Ghostscript Options" and configure the entries accordingly.

Does that help?

--
Michael Prager
NOAA Center for Coastal Fisheries and Habitat Research

NOTE: Opinions expressed are personal, not official. No government
endorsement of any product is made or implied.