[XeTeX] Typesetting arabic and european mix encoded in utf8

Niemann, Hartmut hartmut.niemann at siemens.com
Tue Jun 11 12:06:41 CEST 2024

Hello!

In my current project I use XeLaTeX to typeset PDF files from texts in different languages held in a separate database.
(This is done with a generator that is language-unaware, generating lines like
\long\def\msgtext{عطل في التهيئة البنيوماتية GS}
Into a .inc file and a manually written, language dependent, frame document that defines \msgtext{}

I typeset a (mostly) Arabic document using XeLaTeX and \usepackage{arabxetex}[utf]

Arabxetex supports encoding Arabic in ASCII, and this interferes with the fact, that our texts have latin characters, like English abbreviations, location IDs and such.
The documented solution would be enclosing these latin characters which are to be typeset verbally into \text{LR}, which is rather hard if the text comes from a database.

Does anybody how to switch off arabxetex’s ASCII-to-arabic conversion completely?

Or is there a package that supports Arabic (with Arabic typographic conventions) but made for pure Unicode sources?

With best regards

Hartmut Niemann