[XeTeX] XeTeX OpenType Features bug?

Herbert Schulz herbs2 at mac.com
Wed Oct 25 02:06:26 CEST 2023

> On Oct 24, 2023, at 3:44 PM, Lorna Evans <lorna_evans at sil.org> wrote:
>
> I downloaded Hoefler Text from here: https://fontsgeek.com/fonts/Hoefler-Text-Regular#google_vignette
> My minimal example:
>
>> %!TEX TS-program = xelatex
>>
>> \documentclass[12pt]{memoir}
>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>>
>> \setmainfont[Renderer=OpenType]{Hoefler Text}
>>
>> \begin{document}
>> Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy black dog.
>>
>> \fontspec{Hoefler Text}[
>> Renderer=OpenType,
>> RawFeature={+smcp}]
>> Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy black dog.
>>

>> \end{document}
>>

> This produced
>
> <0zD8ysJKQPSxTnZv.png>I don't know if the screenshot will come through on this list. But it seems to work. I'm on Windows though.
> Lorna
>
> On 10/23/2023 8:40 PM, David Barts via XeTeX wrote:
>> Posted this on the /r/tex subreddit and it was recommended I post it here:
>> When I run XeLaTeX from TeX Live 2023 on my Mac, it does not allow me to access the small caps (smcp feature) in the Baskerville or Hoefler Text fonts. I know these fonts contain small caps, because I can access the smcp feature in them when using Libre Office. I know Libre Office isn’t simply faking it and using a smaller point size to get small caps because a) that’s not how the text appears (the small caps sure look like proper small caps to me), b) it doesn’t do this for all fonts.
>>
>> It’s not all Open Type fonts that XeTeX has problems with, either. It can use the small caps in Shinntype’s Scotch Modern just fine.
>>
>> I’ve done some web searches about this and so far came up dry. Was wondering if anyone else had noticed it or has a workaround.
>> --
>> David Barts / n5jrn at me.com
>> He who has nothing to die for has nothing to live for.
>> -- Moroccan proverb

Howdy,

Does the OpenType version of Hoefler Text appear in Font Book? If you are using \setmainfont using a font name (rather than file name) xelatex (at least on Mac) will only use fonts that that the system `knows' about. There is a ttf version of Hoefler Text so that is what will be used. You must let Font Book `know' about the OpenType version and then make it the active version.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
herbs2 at mac.com