[XeTeX] Σχετ: Re: Σχετ: Re: Off topic (interesting) question

Philip Taylor (Hellenic Institute) P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Sat Aug 20 13:52:23 CEST 2022

On 20/08/2022 12:28, Apostolos Syropoulos via XeTeX wrote:
> My question is if English language speakers
> learn in school why they write history and
> not istory. The answer seems to be: No.
> What you say is completely irrelevant. BTW,
> languages evolve and brathings were
> introduced for a reason that does not
> exist today. So it was to eliminate breathings
> from Modern Greek. In ancient Greek the
> letter β  was pronounced as  b but today
> it is pronounced as v. So this is yet another
> mistake according to your position. For me
> it is evolution.

I have no axe to grind in this intra-Hellenic debate, but may I ask the
two protagonists whether they view the current American practice of both
pronouncing and spelling the phrase "want to" as "wanna" (as in "I wanna
go to the mall" — see Youtube captions, for countless examples) as
evolution or crass ignorance ?

--
/Philip Taylor/