[XeTeX] Guaranteed Unicode replacement glyph in every TeX installation?

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Mon Aug 23 18:33:17 CEST 2021

George N. White III wrote:

> I have access to a couple Windows Systems (10 Enterprise and 10 Pro)
> with a full install
> of TeX Live 2021 with current updates.  Both have
> "<texlive_2021_install_dir>\bin\win32\albatross.exe"
> and the default Windows TL2021 fontconfig setup.   Both work as
> advertised (but default Windows terminal
> doesn't display UniCode and the output seems to be a fixed width so
> truncates the font file pathnames).
> On linux the UniCode characters display properly.

Interesting.  Under Windows 7 64-bit (Enterprise) I find the same file
in the same location; I wonder why a TeX Live 2021 CMD prompt did not
recognise the command.
--
/Philip Taylor/