[XeTeX] Guaranteed Unicode replacement glyph in every TeX installation?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 18:03:49 CEST 2021

On Sat, 21 Aug 2021 at 11:20, Philip Taylor (HI) <
P.Taylor at hellenic-institute.uk> wrote:

> Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>

> With a current texlive you can use albatross to find out which fonts
> on your system support this
>
>    albatross -d 0xFFFD
>

> I appreciate that this answer may have been targetted solely at Doug
> McKenna, but in the general case it does not work.  Here, using TeX Live
> 2021 under Windows 7 Ultimate, the command "albatross" is unknown —
>
> Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
> Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>
> d:\Users\Philip Taylor>albatross -d 0xFFFD
> 'albatross' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> d:\Users\Philip Taylor>

I have access to a couple Windows Systems (10 Enterprise and 10 Pro) with a
full install
of TeX Live 2021 with current updates.  Both have
"<texlive_2021_install_dir>\bin\win32\albatross.exe"
and the default Windows TL2021 fontconfig setup.   Both work as advertised
(but default Windows terminal
doesn't display UniCode and the output seems to be a fixed width so
truncates the font file pathnames).
On linux the UniCode characters display properly.

--
George N. White III