[XeTeX] how to suppress doted circle next to a glyph

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 23:31:07 CEST 2020

On 25/09/2020 22:17, Michael Maxwell wrote:
> In my experience, a dotted circle is an indication that there's a
> non-base character which needs a base character before it, but there's
> no suitable base character.  If you type a Unicode Combining Acute
> Accent (U+0301), but there's no base character (like a vowel)
> preceding it, you'll get such a dotted circle.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, U+1133E is the Grantha Vowel Sign Aa.  Maybe it
> needs a consonant to its left?

Correct. It might work to use U+00A0 there if you want the vowel sign
with no visible consonant:

     {\char"A0\char"1133E}

Alternatively, a workaround might be to look up the glyph ID with
\XeTeXcharglyph and then print it using \XeTeXglyph, so something like:

     {\XeTeXglyph\XeTeXcharglyph"1133E}

should produce the desired glyph by itself.

(The spacing of these two options will be different, as the first uses
no-break space as a base for the cluster, whereas the second just prints
the vowel-sign glyph with no extra spacing.)

JK