[XeTeX] asterisk in font name - font error

Carlos Franke carlosfranke at posteo.de
Sun Dec 13 17:01:16 CET 2020

Apostolos Syropoulos via XeTeX:
> When I use the command \setsansfont{Jost*} I get exactly the sme
> error, however, in the following sample file I have used an
> alternative syntax and this works just fine.
[...]

This would be a neat workaround. However it doesn't compile on my
system either. Running "xelatex temp2.tex" (temp2.tex being Apostolos'
code, only with Minion Pro replaced with another font as I don't have
Minion Pro installed) I get a similar error as before:

   [...]

   (./temp2.aux) (/usr/share/texlive/texmf-
   dist/tex/latex/base/ts1cmr.fd)kpathsea:make_tex: Invalid filename
   `[Jost-500-Medium.otf]/OT', contains '['

   ! Package fontspec Error: The font "Jost-500-Medium" cannot be
   found.

I am likely making some very basic mistake. I would be grateful for any
hint.

Be that as it may, I am wondering: Should xelatex ideally work with the
font name "Jost*" like it does with "Minion Pro" and others? Or should
people (and programs like pandoc) who want to produce xelatex-
compatible LaTeX code with the Jost* fonts use the syntax proposed by
Apostolos?

Sorry for taking so long for this reply! I had the seemingly smart idea
of setting up a filter for this mailing list right away, so that mails
are sorted neatly into a XeTeX folder instead of my inbox. The result
was that I forgot about the matter for over a week :(. I'll try to do
better!

Carlos