[XeTeX] popup windows in XeLaTeX?

Janusz S. Bień jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl
Mon Feb 26 08:59:35 CET 2018

On Mon, Feb 26 2018 at  6:22 GMT, wvanrooijen at yahoo.com writes:
> As far as I know, LuaLaTeX works with UTF-8 (as does XeLaTeX), so that they should give the same result
>
> - if the input file is encoded in UTF-8

Yes, it's UTF-8

> - if the same font is used

Yes

> - if the documentclass is "LuaLaTeX-compatible"

I use just the report class.

Thanks for your answer, However talking about "the same results" is not
appropriate, because the source is unusable with XeLaTeX for reasons
described in my previous mail.

> On Monday, February 26, 2018 1:02 AM, Janusz S. Bień <jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:

[...]

> Hi!
>
> I use regularly XeLaTeX, but for a specific text I switched to LuaLaTeX
> because using the engine, together with ocgx, seemed the simples way to
> get footnotes in the form of the popup windows:

[...]

> Processing the text with XeLaTeX fails on \pdfstartlink, I am aware of a
> thread concerning emulating it:
>
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/86027/how-to-emulate-pdfstartlink-and-pdfendlink-with-xetex
>
> I would appreciate your advice what is the most easy and/or elegant way
> to solve the problem.

So my question is whether there is a simple way to make ocgx usable with
XeLaTeX and/or whether there is an alternative of using ocgx for
creating popup windows.

If I decide to stick with Luatex, I will try to solve the problem with
the help of the LuaTeX mailing list.

Best regards

Janusz

--
                           ,
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bien -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)