[XeTeX] xelatex, hyperref, and new TeXLive

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Thu Jun 16 00:46:12 CEST 2016

With the help of David Carlisle and Herbert Schulz, I've found part of
the problem.  For some reason, in the (our?) 2016 version, kpsewhich
points to this hyperref.cfg file:
    ...texlive/2016/texmf-dist/doc/latex/listings-ext/hyperref.cfg
This .cfg file contains a \hypersetup{...} command that specifies
'ps2pdf'.  Changing that to 'xetex' fixes the problem, at least for
xelatex (I'm not sure what would happen with other flavors of latex).
(Update: removing the line entirely, so it specifies neither xetex nor
ps2pdf, works too, and presumably won't cause trouble for other
latices.)

But:
1) Why does kpsewhich find that file, instead of this one:
    ...texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/latexconfig/hyperref.cfg
    which does not have any \hypersetup{} command, and which would
    presumably not cause the same problem?
2) Why did this change from 2015 to 2016?  We did a pretty vanilla
    install, I think the only non-default choice we made was to use
    'letter' instead of 'a4'.
3) Is this a bug? (meaning should I report it?)

    Mike Maxwell