[XeTeX] xelatex, hyperref, and new TeXLive

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Thu Jun 16 00:06:53 CEST 2016

On 2016-06-15 17:55, David Carlisle wrote:
>> But surely there are lots of people out there happily using xelatex
>> and hyperref without any problem, right?
>
> yes but most will use no driver option or specify xetex which works,
> the explicit dvipdfm option doesn't but I'm not sure when that
> stopped.

We had previously been using the [xetex] option, but that has stopped
working as well--i.e. I just tried my file with
     \usepackage[xetex]{hyperref}
and it fails with the same error msg as no parameter, or as with
[dvipdfmx].

> this year we moved support to github and made some emergency
> updates for luatex changes but as far as I can see nothing's changed
> in the xetex code path for hyperref.

Right, an hour ago I did a diff between the 2015 and 2016 copies of
hyperref.sty, and came up with only a couple diffs, which looked
innocent to my inexperienced eye totally.  But since then, at Herbert
Schultz's off-line suggestion, I did a "tlmgr --update", and now I get
quite a few other diffs (looks like some of them were to accommodate
Italian section names, but there are a few other diffs).  The error msg
remains.

>> Why is this only showing up now?
>
> No idea, can you send me the full log off list and I'll see if I can
> debug

Will do, thanks!

    Mike Maxwell