[XeTeX] fonts and diacritics

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 18:18:23 CEST 2015

I think both Junicode and LM have charsets that cover Indological use
well.  Personally, I'm not so keen on Times-like fonts, so I tend not to
use Junicode.  I have done books with CM (<>LM) fonts in the past, and I
have the highest respect for Don Knuth's work and the Modern style, but
again, my current tastes are towards more classic styles like Bembo,
Palatino, Baskerville, etc.  With Hermann Zapf's recent passing, I feel
some loyalty to using Palatino at the moment.

Sanskrit 2003 is my favourite font containing Devanagari, if give a little
horizontal stretching*, and it also contains a Roman font (Times-Roman
like).  So it's quite convenient for typesetting mixed Roman/Nagari text in
a simple way, especially since the hyphenation tables for Sanskrit contain
both Devanagari and Roman at once.

Best,
Dominik

* For using the Devanagari on its own: