[XeTeX] FakeBold vs TikZ

Stefan Solbrig stefan.solbrig at ur.de
Mon Jun 16 23:29:35 CEST 2014

Hi,

>> Just compiled the document under TeX Live 2013 (all updates till
>> the freeze) and still no dot. Besides the Apple PDF framework
>> (using TeXShop and Preview) I also viewed in Adobe Reader and no do
>> in any case shows up.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>

> Then it’s quite possible that the issue is Linux specific and it
> has not
> been fixed in TL14. Bad luck. :-(
>
> I’m attaching a PDF generated on TL13 on Ubuntu.  Can you see the
> dot in
> the Mac PDF viewer?

I can confirm that's it's not a Linux specific issue. I tried this on
a Mac. However, my system is quite old (TeXlive 2010) so the issue
might be fixed by now.   But on my system, I see the spurious dot as
well. The spurious dot is in fact a dot character U+002e. You can see
this either with pdf2text or watch the dot change its shape when you
use a different font.  I used colors to get some more info. The funny
thing is, that the dot seems to be typeset outside of the TiKZ
environment. (See the code & the attached pdf.)

best,
Stefan

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{tikz}

\def\fb{\addfontfeature{FakeBold=1}}

%\setmainfont{Latin Modern Roman}
\setmainfont{Linux Biolinum O}

\begin{document}

\color{red}
\begin{tikzpicture}
  \draw[draw=blue] (-1,-1) rectangle (3,3);
  \draw[draw=black] (0,0) circle (2pt);

  % try commenting out the following line:
  \node at (1,2) {\fb\color{yellow} test1};
  % try commenting out the following line:
  \node at (1,1)  {\color{green}test2};
\end{tikzpicture}
\color{cyan}

\vspace{2cm}
\newsavebox{\testbox}
\sbox{\testbox}{\fb test3}

\begin{tikzpicture}
  \draw (-1,-1) rectangle (3,3);
  \draw (0,0) circle (.2);

  % try commenting out the following line:
  \node at (1,2) {\usebox{\testbox}};
  % try commenting out the following line:
  \node at (1,1)  {test2};
\end{tikzpicture}

\end{document}