[XeTeX] Problems in Devanagari typing.

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 01:22:23 CET 2013

2013/11/25 Mike Maxwell <maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu>:
> I'm having trouble understanding this:
>
>>> Am 24.11.2013 um 17:27 schrieb Khaled Hosny:
>>
>> ...The problem I had with Malayalam (Rachana Font) has been fixed after I
>> updated it.

The font. Mac had an older version of Rachana which did not work
properly. I did not have such a problem on Linux with newer font.

> The "it" that got fixed = the font or XeTeX?
>
>> However TexShop does have problem with certain ligatures when it comes to
>> Malayalam. However, the
>>
>> pdf renders the ligature correctly.

As Khaled found and I can prove it, the source of the problem was
application of the mapping to the text input directly in Devanagari. I
am an author of the map so I can say that this cannot work in
principle.

> I'm not understanding: are you saying that the screen view of TexShop is at
> fault, or the PDF produced by XeTeX when you use TeXShop?

PDF if Devanagari is processed again by transliteration->Devanagari
mapping. I can understand that without knowledge of Hindi and basic
Sanskrit it is not easy for you to spot the bug.

>> Mr Venkataraman is facing a similar problem. Font. As we have seen the
>> problem is with ligatures.
>

> Perhaps you could be more specific?
> --
>         Mike Maxwell
>         maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
>         "My definition of an interesting universe is
>         one that has the capacity to study itself."
>         --Stephen Eastmond

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz