[XeTeX] Problems in Devanagari typing.

hanneder at staff.uni-marburg.de hanneder at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sun Nov 24 18:18:56 CET 2013

One year ago I tested all free and commercial Nagari fonts I could
find (including all from CDAC distributed at the last World Sanskrit
Conference). The result was disappointing. There are hardly any fonts
which are without errors of placement as you describe etc.
Unfortunately I did not start a catalogue of faults, because I could
not really find anyone with who would be able to solve them.

Being no expert on either of the fields I cannot say whether it is a
problem of the font or XeTeX or the interaction, but it means, if you
have to print a book, there is only one or two that work and look o.k
(for Sanskrit), that is, Devanagari Monotype and Sanskrit 2003, which
is also fine, but it is really a bold font for verses, not for running
text you want to read.

The situation remains quite unsatisfactory for TeX users, but perhaps
also for others, which I think is absurd in view of the enormous
Indian book market.

Best
J Hanneder

----- Nachricht von "S. venkataraman" <svenkat at ignou.ac.in> ---------