[XeTeX] Malayalam typesetting using XeLaTeX

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 12:55:33 CET 2013

2013/11/14 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at web.de>:

> Am 14.11.2013 um 11:22 schrieb Zdenek Wagner:
>
>> I always set the paper size in the document via my zwpagelayout
>> package, alternatively the geometry package can also be used.
>
> That much effort every time is not necessary. And it may fail to achieve the desired effect...
>
> The default set by tlmgr is a substitute for
>
>         \documentclass[a4paper]{article}

That's right but it offers just a few page sizes.

> or such. Without the a4paper option the document would be set for letter size paper. When you later use your package or geometry then you cannot guarantee that every package loaded (afterwards) gets informed that it is working on a differently sized sheet of paper.

This is exactly what I dislike. It breaks the modular way of
prograqmming. the layout package should deal with layout, other
functional packages should be layout independent. If the layout
options are needed for another package, zwpagelayout contains
documented interface.

> Using tlmgr to set a default paper size for your LaTeX documents frees you a lot.

But if you ever have to share the source file with someone else, you
never know what the default setting is on someone else's computer.
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz