[XeTeX] Will XeTeX or LuaTeX support COLR table in OpenType fonts?

Adam Twardoch (List) list.adam at twardoch.com
Fri Aug 30 15:21:45 CEST 2013

On 13-08-30 15:01, William Adams wrote:
> Announced at the Microsoft //build conference:
>
>> A data structure, implemented as a new 'COLR' table in OpenType,
>> breaks down the base glyph into a separate set of glyphs, each
>> with its own z-order and single color reference. The color
>> references are handled has palette indices, with a separate table,
>> 'CPAL' in OpenType that resolves the RGBA colors actually used
>> for the glyph.
> Video here: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2013/3-191
>
> Original announcement on Typophile: http://typophile.com/node/104174
There is, in fact, a number of emerging technologies for multicolor font
support. Currently, there are proposals from Apple, Google, Microsoft
and Adobe/Mozilla on the table. Each proposal has its advantages and
disadvantages, and aspects that distinguish them from the other proposals.

I have summarized the proposals and provided an analysis here:
http://typophile.com/node/105612

Regards,
Adam Twardoch

--