[XeTeX] Help with XeTeX/ConTeXT and CTL

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 23:39:47 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 8:38 PM, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 11:51 PM, Shriramana Sharma  wrote:
>> I wonder if there is some problem with the Graphite handling SMP code
>> points? While typesetting (using Ctrl+T in TeXWorks) I still get the
>> segfault I reported. I hope you people can reproduce that too.
>>
>> I note that if I comment out the \adinatha line and leave the SMP UTF
>> text in, I get a series of boxes but no segfault, so it is not a
>> problem with SMP text being part of the UTF-8 file but it seems to be
>> a problem with the Graphite rendering trying to handle SMP text
>> (maybe?).
>
> Of course, you people would have noticed that I have by default
> commented out the line with Brahmi text, which is why it does not
> segfault as I have given it to you. To reproduce the segfault, remove
> the %.
>
> I also tested with a version of the font with OT tables added:
>
> https://sites.google.com/site/jamadagni/files/temp/Adinatha%20Tamil%20Brahmi%20gr-and-ot.otf

I tested a few days ago and not with that last link, but on my Mac
(x86_64-darwin) I only get

** WARNING ** Invalid CMap mapping entry. (ignored)
** WARNING ** Unable to read OpenType/TrueType Unicode cmap table.
** WARNING ** Failed to load ToUnicode CMap for font "AdinathaTamilBrahmi"

and it doesn't work either, but at least it doesn't crash.

I downloaded the font from
    http://www.virtualvinodh.com/download/Adinatha-Tamil-Brahmi.zip
and used
    \font\myfontbrah = "Adinatha Tamil Brahmi/GR"
    \myfontbrah\char"1013
It only complains and fails to display any sensible output (it renders
nonsense characters). But I'm not entirely sure if I used the right
font in the first place.

A possibly relevant difference is that Ubuntu's XeTeX is probably
linked against system ICU, while in "original" TeX Live all the
binaries are statically built. Can you try - just for fun - if the
same file also crashes if you install TL 2012 locally from
    http://www.tug.org/texlive/pretest.html
or with standalone ConTeXt distribution which should give you the same
behaviour? Not that it would solve your problems with fonts, but it
would be at least a hint that something should be fixed in Ubuntu
binaries to prevent the crash.

Mojca