[XeTeX] Help with XeTeX/ConTeXT and CTL

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 02:36:31 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 3:09 AM, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tested a few days ago and not with that last link, but on my Mac
> (x86_64-darwin) I only get
>
> ** WARNING ** Invalid CMap mapping entry. (ignored)
> ** WARNING ** Unable to read OpenType/TrueType Unicode cmap table.
> ** WARNING ** Failed to load ToUnicode CMap for font "AdinathaTamilBrahmi"
>
> and it doesn't work either, but at least it doesn't crash.
>
> I downloaded the font from
>     http://www.virtualvinodh.com/download/Adinatha-Tamil-Brahmi.zip

Yes the invalid CMap entry is present in the TTF in the above link and
it throws a notdef box without crashing. Please see my post of last
night ("xetex-graphite-now-working") for a cmap-fixed version and a
pure Gr-only version without cmap problems. I'd appreciate if you
could test both those versions and tell me what happens on your
system.

> A possibly relevant difference is that Ubuntu's XeTeX is probably
> linked against system ICU, while in "original" TeX Live all the
> binaries are statically built. Can you try - just for fun - if the
> same file also crashes if you install TL 2012 locally from
>     http://www.tug.org/texlive/pretest.html

Hmm -- am going back to my low-bandwidth village today so don't have
time to download the 2 gig TL 2012 preview, but I have the TL 2011
image, so I'll test that tomorrow or so.

> or with standalone ConTeXt distribution which should give you the same
> behaviour? Not that it would solve your problems with fonts, but it
> would be at least a hint that something should be fixed in Ubuntu
> binaries to prevent the crash.

That's an idea too. The rsync is going on and since I wanted to test
against a stable Context, I've done:

./first-setup.sh --context=current

I can mail from my low-bandwidth village all right (just can't do
heavy downloads) so I'll get back on this later. Thanks all for your
continued support and help!

--
Shriramana Sharma