[XeTeX] Problem with Unicode 01F01B

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Dec 18 18:08:28 CET 2012

On Dec 18, 2012, at 10:59 AM, <mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2012, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>> For a couple of releases now, XeTeX will always put the absolute path
>> of the font in the XDV to avoid the recurrent problem with XeTeX and
>
> Does this make XDV files non-portable?  It may be that getting the correct
> font, in the usual case of the XDV being generated and used immediately
> through a pipe on the same machine, is important enough that this is the
> Right Thing to do.  But I am currently generating and using XDV files in
> separate steps on a single machine, and it's not hard to imagine someone
> wanting to do those in separate steps on separate machines.
> Device-independent files are no longer device-independent if they're tied
> to one host's filesystem.
>
> --
> Matthew Skala
> mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before principles.
> http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/

Howdy,

I believe that .xdv files are inherently non-portable since available system fonts vary from system to system. In that same sense even .tex files to be compiled with (xe/lua)latex and using system fonts are no portable. The price you pay for using system fonts.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)