[XeTeX] problem with small caps

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Jan 20 11:25:03 CET 2011

Am 20.01.2011 um 01:59 schrieb David J. Perry:

>> XeLaTeX will fail when using the  non-O fonts.
> This is not my experience (see above).  I use MiKTeX, not TeXlive,
> so have no idea about other versions that come with the latter.
> But: isn't XeTeX able to use any font that is installed in the
> user's system?  I have a few old Type 1 fonts still around and XeTeX
> can use them -- or at least the ones I just tried -- just fine.

XeTeX is able to use PostScript Type 1 fonts (in a basic and primitive
way), but then you have the problem to explain to XeTeX which font
file or which font name represents the small caps variant. That's what
I meant with "will fail": without extensive declaration no small caps,
superscripts and subscripts, etc. will appear.

It's certainly no coincidence that all examples with Linux Libertine,
given on this list, had the "O" in the font name.

--
Greetings

   Pete       (: