[XeTeX] Beginner questions

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Sat Oct 23 11:52:50 CEST 2010

Le 23 oct. 2010 à 11:33, Cyril Niklaus a écrit :

> On 23 oct. 2010, at 17:53, André Bellaïche wrote:
>
>> I am new to XeTeX, and I could not find a text for beginners.

>> Let me ask some questions:
>>
>> 1. Is it possible to replace unicode by applemac encoding? What are the commands in this case?
> The whole point of XeLaTeX is to work in unicode, so no. If you have legacy documents in applemac, either save them using TextEdit (for ex) in UTF-8, or keep using pdfTeX, which supports that encoding.

Thanks.

>> 2. If the main roman font is Frutiger® 55 Roman (Linotype Original names), I doubt that the system will find out that if the italic, bold and bold italic counterparts are Frutiger® 56 Italic, Frutiger® 65 Bold, Frutiger® 66 Bold Italic.
> Use \setromanfont{Frutiger LT Std}, it will do the rest combined with the normal italics or bold declarations.

Do you mean that I should type a name which is neither the Linotype commercial name (Frutiger® 55 Roman), neither the Adobe commercial name (Frutiger Std™ Roman), neither the Postscript name (FrutigerLTStd-Roman), nor the Mac/PC Menu name (Frutiger LT Std 55 Roman), and XeTeX will manage anyway?

What about a small guide for beginners?

André