[XeTeX] Beginner questions

Cyril Niklaus cyril.niklaus at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 11:33:45 CEST 2010

On 23 oct. 2010, at 17:53, André Bellaïche wrote:

> I am new to XeTeX, and I could not find a text for beginners.

> Let me ask some questions:
>
> 1. Is it possible to replace unicode by applemac encoding? What are the commands in this case?
The whole point of XeLaTeX is to work in unicode, so no. If you have legacy documents in applemac, either save them using TextEdit (for ex) in UTF-8, or keep using pdfTeX, which supports that encoding.

> 2. If the main roman font is Frutiger® 55 Roman (Linotype Original names), I doubt that the system will find out that if the italic, bold and bold italic counterparts are Frutiger® 56 Italic, Frutiger® 65 Bold, Frutiger® 66 Bold Italic.
Use \setromanfont{Frutiger LT Std}, it will do the rest combined with the normal italics or bold declarations.

Cyril