[XeTeX] Beginner questions

Cyril Niklaus cyril.niklaus at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 13:14:33 CEST 2010

On 23 oct. 2010, at 18:52, André Bellaïche wrote:

> Le 23 oct. 2010 à 11:33, Cyril Niklaus a écrit :
>
>> On 23 oct. 2010, at 17:53, André Bellaïche wrote:
>>

>>> 2. If the main roman font is Frutiger® 55 Roman (Linotype Original names), I doubt that the system will find out that if the italic, bold and bold italic counterparts are Frutiger® 56 Italic, Frutiger® 65 Bold, Frutiger® 66 Bold Italic.
>> Use \setromanfont{Frutiger LT Std}, it will do the rest combined with the normal italics or bold declarations.
>
> Do you mean that I should type a name which is neither the Linotype commercial name (Frutiger® 55 Roman), neither the Adobe commercial name (Frutiger Std™ Roman), neither the Postscript name (FrutigerLTStd-Roman), nor the Mac/PC Menu name (Frutiger LT Std 55 Roman), and XeTeX will manage anyway?

I don't bother with the postscript name but I use the font display name (it's the name in the menu, or in the font panel).

In my case (an otf version) it is Frutiger LT Std, and, yes, XeTeX finds the italics with \textit etc. It typsets in  55 Roman (the output is the same whether I use Frutiger LT Std 55 Roman or simply Frutiger LT Std.

If I want to use Light, I can explicitly call it using Frutiger LT Std 45 Light.
The syntax is: \fontspec[font features]{Mac OS X font display name}
For example (sorry, it's ugly!)

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage[quiet]{polyglossia}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setromanfont{Frutiger LT Std}
\pagestyle{plain}
\begin{document}
\lccode"2019="0027
\textbf{Dans} les premiers jours du mois d’\textit{octobre 1815}, une heure environ avant le coucher du soleil, {\fontspec{Frutiger LT Std 95 Ultra Black}un homme} qui voyageait à pied entrait dans la petite ville de \textit{Digne}.
\end{document}

HTH
Cyril