[XeTeX] Localized XeLaTeX: was Greek XeLaTeX

peter wilson herries.press at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 16 16:14:40 CEST 2010

Herbert Schulz wrote:
> On Oct 16, 2010, at 10:46 AM, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
>

>>Khaled Hosny wrote:
>>

>>>"Once again people fell into the trap of believing the rules their
>>>language is using are universal."
>>> -- Some wise person writing GNU gettext manual[1]
>>>
>>>[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_mono/gettext.html#Plural-forms
>>
>>Well, to be fair to Herb, he /was/ referring to SI
>>("Systeme Internationale") which (of course) his own
>>country has not adopted, along with Burma and Liberia !
>>
>>** Phil.
>

> Howdy,
>
> Maybe not the country but certainly the Physicists have. :-)
>
> There were plans but too many people with power were too afraid of backlash. They tried, without success, to use both systems on highways and, of course, that didn't work. I still believe people are quick adapters so just change everything overnight and folks will adapt in short order. Finally, this country seems to have a paranoia about ``internationalizing'' anything. :-(
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

     It might be fairer to say that it has been adopted but not
implemented.

     I used to work at NIST (National Institute for Standards and
Technology), formerly NBS (National Bureau of Standards) and I asked why
they were still using letterpaper and not A4 as they were meant to? The
answer I was given was that A4 would not fit into the filing cabinets
and there was no budget for new cabinets.

Peter W.