[XeTeX] Hyphenation rules problem in my french document

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Mon Nov 29 00:04:46 CET 2010

Maxim Cournoyer wrote:

> I am writing a french document, using the \usepackage[francais]{babel}
> directive in my preamble.

I would try this instead, Maxim:

\documentclass[12pt,letterpaper,oneside,draft]{memoir}

\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage{french}

> Some lines of text aren't hyphenated automatically, most of the time
> because there doesn't seem to be hyphenation rules
> in the hyphenation dictionary for words preceded by "l'" such as in my
> test document, "l'oscilloscope".
>
> I tried suggesting new rules using the \hyphenation{oscillo-scope} rule,
> but it does only affect the word "oscilloscope" when it is preceded
> and followed by a space. I can't seem to find a way to tell it to use
> \hyphenation{l'oscilloscope} without it issuing a warning such as:
>
> * Local config file frenchb.cfg used
> *
> (/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/frenchb.cfg)))
> (/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/carlisle/scalefnt.sty)
> ! Not a letter.
> l.11 \hyphenation{l'
>                     oscillo-scope}
>
> Any ideas? I've included the test document below.

I used this:

\hyphenation{oscillo-scope}

and it hyphenated correctly (I think!)

> Also, I guess I should test it with polyglossia, but I have never used
> it (and don't have much time to RTM for now). Is it hard to set up?

See above.

HTH.

--
United in adoration of Jesus,