[XeTeX] Hyphenation rules problem in my french document

Maxim Cournoyer maxim.cournoyer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 04:03:15 CET 2010

Le dimanche 28 novembre 2010 à 18:04 -0500, Fr. Michael Gilmary a
écrit :

> I used this:
>

> \hyphenation{oscillo-scope}
>
> and it hyphenated correctly (I think!)
>

> > Also, I guess I should test it with polyglossia, but I have never used
> > it (and don't have much time to RTM for now). Is it hard to set up?
> >

> See above.
>

> HTH.

Thank you, Sir!

This is all very excellent. To say that I was scared to make the switch
to polyglossia!
I guess I had not so fond memories of my first clashes with Ubuntu's
outdated TexLive packages.

And the user manual is a mere 15 pages, I'm reading it right now! ;)

Polyglossia seems a superior solution, indeed, there is not even the
need to specify the hyphenation rule,
it splits the "l'oscilloscope" word just fine with the defaults:

% Test document
\documentclass[12pt,letterpaper,oneside,draft]{memoir}

\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage{french}

\begin{document}

l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope
l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope
l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope
l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope

\end{document}

Many thanks again!

Maxim