[XeTeX] Hyphenation rules problem in my french document

Maxim Cournoyer maxim.cournoyer at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 23:41:28 CET 2010

Dear fellow Xe(La)TeXers,

I would appreciate any clues on the following problem:

I am writing a french document, using the \usepackage[francais]{babel}
directive in my preamble.
Some lines of text aren't hyphenated automatically, most of the time
because there doesn't seem to be hyphenation rules
in the hyphenation dictionary for words preceded by "l'" such as in my
test document, "l'oscilloscope".

I tried suggesting new rules using the \hyphenation{oscillo-scope} rule,
but it does only affect the word "oscilloscope" when it is preceded
and followed by a space. I can't seem to find a way to tell it to use
\hyphenation{l'oscilloscope} without it issuing a warning such as:

* Local config file frenchb.cfg used
*
(/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/frenchb.cfg)))
(/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/carlisle/scalefnt.sty)
! Not a letter.
l.11 \hyphenation{l'
                    oscillo-scope}

Any ideas? I've included the test document below.

Also, I guess I should test it with polyglossia, but I have never used
it (and don't have much time to RTM for now). Is it hard to set up?

% Test document
\documentclass[12pt,letterpaper,oneside,draft]{memoir}

\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{xunicode}
\usepackage[francais]{babel}

\hyphenation{l'oscillo-scope}

\begin{document}

l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope
l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope
l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope
l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope l'oscilloscope

\end{document}

Thanks,

Maxim