[XeTeX] IPA superscript diacritics

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Sun Nov 7 21:50:43 CET 2010

Hi Phil, Kevin and others,

On 07/11/2010, at 10:30 AM, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> I can't reproduce the problem here.  I processed your
> source file using XeLaTeX, opened the resulting PDF
> in Adobe Acrobat Reader 9, copied the entire text,
> pasted it into WordPad, selected each superscript
> in turn, and used each in a Ctrl-F "Find" dialogue :
> only the superscript was found in each case, not
> the similar-looking normal character.

Similarly there's no problem with Adobe Reader 10
nor Acrobat Pro 10.

So Kevin, what versions of Reader were you using?
Similarly, what screen-reading software are you using?
How old is it?

As for screen reading, when I use "Read Out Loud" on the
(Kevin's) example PDF, the superscripted IPA characters
are just not read at all. Presumably they need to be tagged
with an /Alt replacement text for Reader to know what to say.

What would you like to hear for these?

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross.moore at mq.edu.au