[XeTeX] Japanese Characters in PDF do not match thosein source file.

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 23 07:29:44 CEST 2010

Hi,

When you update your tex system make sure to run "texconfig" or a similar utility to update the database of file names, paths, etc. If you use Linux, make sure that the font occurs only once on your system. Fonts that are only installed by a single user usually reside in $HOME/.fonts, and system wide fonts reside somewhere else (/usr/share/fonts in my case).

I don't know how proficient you are with latex and friends. If you use xelatex, you don't need to load any extra packages which have to do with input encoding. inputenc, fontenc etc are no longer necessary.

If you save you input file as UTF-8, all characters should be processed correctly, regardless of whether they are Japanese, Chinese, Tamil, Urdu, Sanskrit or Greek.

In xelatex a lot of the dealings with glyphs (the actual signs in a font at the location pointed to by the input encoding) are left to the details provided in the OTF and TTF fonts. Thus, you have to make sure that xelatex uses a font which has glyphs available for the characters you want to use. Use the fontspec package to select a font.

I am presently working on a gloss file for polyglossia (the xelatex replacement of babel) for Japanese. Once this file is available, choosing Japanese as a language will automatically set the correct font etc.

You can switch fonts with the fontspec package. If you need it, you can define a latin font and a Japanese font and have xelatex switch automatically upon encountering a CJK string.

Regards,
Wilfred