[XeTeX] OpenType fonts in Linux?

Kārlis Repsons karlis.repsons at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 21:40:53 CET 2009

On Sunday 29 November 2009 19:11:43 Michiel Kamermans wrote:
> Kārlis Repsons wrote:
> > Well, € 42.84 is somewhat real, but € 230 - no joke, I saw it, just lost
> > that URL, as I decided, its too insane :)
>
> Fonts are expensive. This is a constant discovery for people who only
> use the fonts that come with their OS, but real fonts cost you an arm
> and a leg for the full family =)

I start to envy mac users. I was reading through fontspec.pdf and here is a
(not exhaustive) list of fonts I just don't have: Apple Chancery, Hoefler Text,
Skia, Didot, Adobe Garamond Pro, Warnock Pro, Zapfino... So most of examples
there just don't work on a typical Linux box. They are available on mac,
right? Else it would be a bit wicked to demonstrate them, while most texlive
users just can't use them.

Perhaps some list of free OpenType fonts which support those fancy and/or
sophisticated features is out there? Or that kind of fonts is simply not free
these days?