[XeTeX] OpenType fonts in Linux?

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sun Nov 29 21:58:21 CET 2009

Kārlis Repsons wrote:

> there just don't work on a typical Linux box. They are available on mac,
> right? Else it would be a bit wicked to demonstrate them, while most texlive
> users just can't use them.
Yes, they come with Mac OS X.  Windows also comes with some--the "C"
fonts in Vista contain some OT features, although Microsoft has not
advertised this fact.  Windows 7 includes a wonderful OT font called
Gabriola that demonstrates use of stylistic sets, contextual alternates,
etc.

> Perhaps some list of free OpenType fonts which support those fancy and/or
> sophisticated features is out there? Or that kind of fonts is simply not free
> these days?
There are quite a few out there.  Off the top of my head, look at Linux
Libertine, Junicode, Gentium, Cardo, the TexGyre fonts, and Charis SIL.
  (Google them; they are also discussed in my book.)  These are free or
open source.  They are more oriented toward scholars and multilingual
users than toward graphic designers, so you won't find all sorts of
purely decorative alternates as there are in Zapfino.  There are many
commercial fonts too, if you can afford them -- lots and lots from Adobe
in particular.

David