[XeTeX] Need some input about \newcommand to create alias

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 28 07:28:00 CET 2009

Hey, interesting. I tried and I get:

This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9995.2 (TeX Live 2009) (format=xelatex 2009.11.19)  28 NOV 2009 15:25
entering extended mode
 %&-line parsing enabled.
**/home/rooijen/Desktop/test.tex
(/home/rooijen/Desktop/test.tex
LaTeX2e <2009/09/24>
Babel <v3.8l> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax, dumylang, noh
yphenation, german-x-2009-06-19, ngerman-x-2009-06-19, ancientgreek, ibycus, ar
abic, basque, bulgarian, catalan, pinyin, coptic, croatian, czech, danish, dutc
h, esperanto, estonian, farsi, finnish, french, galician, german, ngerman, mono
greek, greek, hungarian, icelandic, indonesian, interlingua, irish, italian, ku
rmanji, latin, latvian, lithuanian, mongolian, mongolian2a, bokmal, nynorsk, po
lish, portuguese, romanian, russian, sanskrit, serbian, slovak, slovenian, span
ish, swedish, turkish, ukenglish, ukrainian, uppersorbian, welsh, loaded.
(/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/book.cls
Document Class: book 2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/bk11.clo
File: bk11.clo 2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX file (size option)
)

>> snip snip

! Undefined control sequence.
l.5 Test of subscripting: CO\textsubscript
                                          {2}.
?
! Emergency stop.
l.5 Test of subscripting: CO\textsubscript
                                          {2}.
End of file on the terminal!

I was under the impression that \textsubscript (and the \textsuperscript) were defined in the memoir class. Well, according to the manual, they are defined in the memoir class. Given that xelatex uses the same class files as "normal" latex I doubt if xelatex has a \textsubscript by default.

Cheers,
Wilfred