[XeTeX] mathspec and MnSymbol

Andrew Moschou andmos at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 13:52:31 CET 2009

Hi Thierry,

I'm glad that you find mathspec useful.

To answer the first question, there is no critical difference between:
\usepackage{MnSymbol}\usepackage{mathspec} and
\usepackage[MnSymbol]{mathspec}: the MnSymbol option calls
\RequirePackage{MnSymbol}, which is synonomous to \usepackage{MnSymbol}.

For you second question, it is hard to judge what's going on without seeing
a complete example document. Something is obviously defining \mathfrak
before mathspec does (or attempting to define \mathfrak after mathspec
does).

I will say that LaTeX 2e permits only 16 maths fonts in a document, and by
attemping to use all alphabets, you've come up against this limitation
many more can be used with XeTeX. I have tried, but have never successfully
extended this limit. This warning existed in the documentation for previous
mathspec versions, but I think I removed it for the current version, but it
still stands. If you get this error, it is likely that you have loaded more
fonts than is necessary for your document. But if you need all of these
fonts, then you probably shouldn't be using mathspec anyway. Please send a
complete example so that I can try to help you to optimise your document.

It can usually help to define and use commands similar to these:

\newfontfamily\blackboardboldfont{<blackboard bold font name>}
\newfontfamily\caligraphicfont{<caligraphic font name>}

\newcommand\bbR{\text{\blackboardboldfont R}}
\newcommand\calA{\text{\calligraphicfont A}}
\newcommand\calM{\text{\calligraphicfont M}}

instead of using \setmathbb{<bb font>} and \setmathcal{<cal font>}, which
frees up some alphabet slots. So:
Let $(X,\calA,\mu)$ be the Lebesgue measure space $(\bbR,\calM,m)$.
instead of:
Let $(X,\mathcal{A},\mu)$ be the Lebesgue measure space
$(\mathbb{R},\mathcal{M},m)$.

Andrew