[XeTeX] bidi and hyperref in XeTeX (was: bidi package abilities and lshort in Persia)

Diederick C. Niehorster dcnieho at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 06:10:06 CEST 2009

Hi Vafa,

Thanks for your hard work on bidi and the other packages.

I know next to nothign about (xe)tex internals nor about lower level
package programming, but i got to wonder. sorry if this is of no use.

>From the descriptions i heard here, it seems that the problem with the
color and hyperref packages is that the \begin_somehting and
\end_something indication beginning and end of link or color are
reversed and thus dont work.

I assume those are set with some macro, so can't you do something like
(pseudocode, i dont really know low level tex):
% if in RTL
\let\oribegin\begin
\let\begin\end
\let\oriend\end
\let\end\oribegin
% set them back to normal when leaving RTL

I assume it might not always be this simple, but maybe this inspires
you to something that fixes some of the cases.

Best,
Diederick