[XeTeX] No Non-English Hyphenation

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Aug 9 14:48:20 CEST 2009

Am 09.08.2009 um 12:39 schrieb Sebastian Kosch:

> $ kpsewhere -engine=xetex xelatex.fmt	// where the old ones are
> /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-var/web2c/xetex/xelatex.fmt
> $ kpsewhere -engine=xelatex xelatex.fmt	// where the new ones ended up
> /home/sebastian/.texlive2008/texmf-var/web2c/xelatex/xelatex.fmt
>
> Don't ask me why xetex and xelatex look for files in totally
> different folders
> (is this yet another fmtutil vs. fmtutil-sys thing? the latter
> doesn't work
> right on my system), but I'm happy now.

The fmtutil-sys utility, to be used with sudo or when logged in as
root, works on the system and therefore stores its FMT files in /usr/
local/texlive/<year>/texmf-var/web2c/<engine> (where engine can be
one of aleph, luatex, omega, pdftex, tex, and xetex).

When you're using fmtutil, then only your own private empire is
configured.

So you have an explanation why your private XeLaTeX FMT file is in
~/.texlive2008/texmf-var/web2c/xelatex (and you'll find in
~/.texlive2008/texmf-var/web2c/xetex your private XeTeX FMT file,
which also your LOG tells: fmtutil: /home/sebastian/.texlive2008/
texmf-var/web2c/xetex/xetex.fmt installed. – and 'kpsewhere -
engine=xetex xetex.fmt' will certainly show this).

This is not a perfect solution, particularly when you might intend to
update TeX Live 2008: the system's files would be updated
automatically, your's not.

On an UNIX system it's not so difficult to gain access to a super-
user shell. In it you can configure the languages to be used. Then
this would suffice that all formats will be refreshed. Just check
with fmtutil-sys whether XeTeX and XeLaTeX are enabled. Once the
system has the up-to-date FMT files you could delete your whole
~/.texlive2008 branch.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

November, n.:
         The eleventh twelfth of a weariness.
                 – Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"